Greenbelt Golden Age Club, founded in 1957, is the oldest senior club in the county, according to M-NCPPC. It is recognized by the City of Greenbelt as a Greenbelt Community Group and receives free meeting space in the Multipurpose Room of the Community Center. The club also receives funding for trips and events through the city’s Therapeutic Recreation budget.
Greenbelt residents at least 60 years old. In the case of a married couple, only 1 member needs to be 60 or older. Any current member later residing outside Greenbelt may retain membership.
To Connect During the Pandemic Shutdown
In normal times, new members join at club meeting. While club events are temporarily on hold, nonmembers are welcome to get club news by following it on Facebook. Or join the club by emailing Rebecca Sutfin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email club President Judy Parker @email@example.com.
Meetings (Temporarily on Hold due to Coronavirus)
Regular Meetings are 11-noon in the Greenbelt Community Center, second floor, Room 201.
- 1st Wednesday: business meeting – with reports from officers and committees.
- 2nd Wednesday: speaker or activity.
- 3rd Wednesday: potluck/birthday celebration. Everyone brings a dish to share – it doesn’t have to be homemade - or makes a donation.
- 4th Wednesday: Bingo. Some members donate items for prizes.
- 5th Wednesday: Tea social. It’s an informal social time. Bring a fancy cup or mug, a snack to share, or tea. Some members bring magazines and books to donate.
No meetings are held if the PG County Schools are closed or have a delayed opening due to inclement weather.
Examples of Other Events (Temporarily on Hold due to Coronavirus)
- Anniversary luncheon. The 2020 event was to have been April 15 at the College Park Holiday Inn. $15 members, $30 for nonmembers. Starts 11:30. (See the Greenbelt News Review article about the 2019 event. Go to page 16.)
- Day trips – many members go on trips conducted by Greenbelt Recreation – to shopping malls, dinner theater, and museums. Most trip destinations offer senior discounts.
How to Find Event Information
Golden Age’s calendar of events is published regularly in the Greenbelt News Review.
Members also may sign up to receive weekly emails from the Golden Age Club, with updates about events.
To Join (After Meetings Resume)
Attend a meeting, prove your Greenbelt residency, and pay $15 by cash or check. You’ll receive “New member Information Sheets” and a list of members with contact info. Dues are payable January 1 of each year. As of May 2020 there were 124. Members.